Rolex Submariner: A True Divers’ Watch that Stood the Test of Time
February 5th, 2019
It is indeed pretty hard to make any conclusive statements about Rolex watches. Why? The reason is, there are many styles and types to choose from, and each Rolex watch is unique in its design and functionality. However, there are indeed some classic Rolex watches that have stood the test of time. While these watches have set a standard for technical mastery, they influence and attract a large number of watch enthusiasts. And, one of these timepieces is the Rolex Submariner – A true divers’ watch! You may wonder:
Why do so many individuals choose to invest in this classic watch? And, what is the value of a Rolex Submariner?
To get all these answers, let’s us today explore the historical background of this symbolic Rolex watch. In short, Rolex Perpetual Submariner was the first wristwatch waterproof up to a depth of 330ft (100m).
The Rolex Submariner represented a historic turning point with the invention of the Oyster and indeed, is the most coveted watch in this world. With a crown logo and Oyster case, the timepiece thematically rules over a lot.
Rolex Submariner comes with a rich history that allures many watch collectors across the globe.
- While the watch unlocked the deep, it set the standard for divers’ watches.
- The Rolex Submariner was launched finally in 1953, after many years of efforts and decades of technological refinement.
Rolex Submariner is the first ever watch designed for deep sea diving, water resistant up to 300ft. This great resistance to water pressure enables all deep-sea divers to wear the Rolex Submariner during their deepest dives.
A Diver’s Watch by Design
Rolex designed the Submariner entirely as an underwater survival tool. The manufacturer crafted a water-tight watch case with the Oyster, keeping the practical needs of divers in mind.
- However, the current generation Rolex Submariner models remained faithful to the original Submariner debuted in 1953.
- The watches sport subtly redesigned Oyster case and unidirectional rotatable bezel with Cerachrom insert.
- Other features include a unique dial with more prominent luminescent hour markers and solid-link Oyster bracelet.
- The luminescent dial and hands are innovated to improve the visibility in dark environments. This is indeed one of the essential aspects for divers as it will prevent any risk of confusion underwater.
Overall, the Rolex Submariner flaunts a combination of professional and sporty looks. And this is one of the most significant factors to the design’s success.
The Water-tight Oyster Case
Rolex Submariner comes with an Oyster case, water resistant to a depth of 1,000ft (300m).
- The Oyster case offers a high-precision movement with supreme protection from water, pressure, dust and shocks.
- However, the Triplock winding crown screws securely down against the case, assuring water-tight security.
- The unidirectional rotating bezel of the Submariner has bulged edges that provides optimal grip when setting the diving time.
- The earlier Rolex Submariners feature a rotating bezel with aluminium insert. But now, Rolex moved over to producing ceramic bezels. While the ceramic bezel is more lustrous than aluminium, it is very scratch-resistant and much more durable.
With the embedded Chroma-light capsule on the zero-marker, the unidirectional rotatable bezel enables the Submariner to be used in dark environments underwater.
The latest generation Rolex Submariner watches features an upgraded Oyster bracelet.
- Earlier models of Rolex Submariner sported a three-link tapering steel bracelet.
- While this bracelet is comfortable to wear and also, makes the case look slightly larger, the newest generation bracelet offers a much cleaner profile.
- The new Oyster bracelet is equipped with a Rolex Glidelock extension system and an Oyster safety clasp. The Oysterlock safety clasp will prevent the bracelet from accidental opening.
However, many people buy the Rolex Submariner just because of the Glidelock adjustment system.
- With the Rolex Glidelock feature, one can micro-adjust the bracelet’s size within a few millimetres, without using any tool.
- This means the bracelet can be resized with ease. You can increase the bracelet’s size to wear over a dive suit or jacket.
The Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner Date models are powered by Calibre 3130 and Calibre 3135 respectively. These self-winding movements are developed and produced entirely by Rolex.
- The architecture and innovative elements make them individually reliable and precise.
- However, the self-winding movement in the Submariner is equipped with the blue Parachrom hairspring.
- While the movement offers greater stability during temperature variations, it stays up to 10times more precise than the standard hairsprings in case of shocks.
What is the value of a Rolex Submariner?
The Rolex Submariner was designed originally for diving and underwater exploration. Over the years, the watch has proved its efficiency equally out of the water.
- While the watch’s popularity continued to grow, Rolex Submariner has now become the symbolic all-around watch, admired by divers, athletes and other people coming from all walks of life.
- For some individual, the Submariner may be standard daily wear, whereas for others the watch might be an item of aspiration with a price in several thousand pounds.
- However, the price of the Submariners has crept up to ambitious levels. The watch is yet in production.
- Like other Rolex watches, Rolex Submariner models also retain its value very well over the time. And, this is good news for people who are looking for ‘How to sell my Rolex’, or ‘Where can I sell my Rolex Submariner’ to raise quick cash.
- However, the price you are likely to obtain when selling your Submariner will depend on many aspects like the model, condition, age, original box and papers.
When it comes to buying, two Rolex Submariner models are likely to have two different prices attached to them.
- The prices usually vary according to the year of manufacturer, popularity, condition, original box & papers, date complication and other aspects.
- For example, the price of the Rolex Submariner Ref: 116613 with original box and papers is £7,000. However, the Rolex Submariner Ref 16613 with only Original box and no original paper is priced at £6,300.
Overall, the original Rolex Submariner was the second great innovation in the technical mastery of waterproofness. Today, Rolex Submariner is one of the most popular signature watches of the brand. The watches continue to keep hold of their value, and indeed, the value of some of the models have enhanced over time.